Re: MCA vs EMI

> Well, there's still TKAA and MY GENERATION, so there's a chance
> that some more tracks will be on those two.

Carolyn:

TKAA had damned well better include the live JT/MG/MG Blues segment on
it this time, but of course if it does there'll be no room for more. I'd
suggest they leave off the tracks released elsewhere (MB, ICSFM) but I'm
SURE they won't "for integrity's sake." The remixed MG, if we ever get
it, will probably just have tracks from that period. I'd love to get the
alternate vocal AAA and Substitute, not to mention a remixed Substitute
in the first place.

> However, I still
> think they've done better by the Who recently than Capitol/EMI
> has done by the Beatles.

I agree with YOU here. The early Beatles albums clock in at right around
30 minutes, leaving plenty of time for (maybe) the singles or another
entire album (which they did for the Beach Boys). Even the ANTHOLOGY
disc were only 60 minutes long, and there is plenty of yet unreleased
Beatles stuff which could have been included.
Still, I would be happy if they released 3 double sets of unreleased
Who. I once figured up the Who cuts (the ones *I* know of) which are
unreleased + the original O&S, and it came to about 3 discs (and this
not counting any BBC tracks). This included all of the WHO'S & TWO
MISSING material, which is currently out of print.
I also compiled an imaginary 5 disc live boxed set of unreleased
material...once again, of the material I know exists. It seems that
every Who tour from 1968 on was recorded.
So it's not a lack of material which is to blame here.

> mention leaving some great demos off ANTHOLOGY so we can
> put them on a future rarities compilation....

As a matter of fact, McCartney did say they were closing the vaults "for
now." So we may see more releases in the future.

> What do the rest of you think?  Which is worse--MCA or Capitol/
> EMI?  Vote here....

I'd say they're even. The remixes for the most part improve the sound
quality, and that's got to be considered.

> But I guess they went with the more profitable decision.

Lisa:

They both have. It's just that MCA is more inept in this arena, because
they've missed obvious marketing chances, like the afore-mentioned live
set before they started the 1997 tour. Or a rarities collection when the
ANTHOLOGYs were being released.
"Earth to MCA..."

--

            Cheers                ML