Re: gender of Who fans

Sean,

>Thank you so much for the intelligent reply to the gender issue I
>raised.  I was stunned to learn that an all-female Who Fan club,
called
>"Glow Girls," exists -- I didn't know that.

Actually, the Glow Girls is an all YOUNG female Who fan club.  I
point this out only for the sake of accuracy, I'm sure whoever
mentioned the Glow Girls to you didn't stress that it was not for
female Who fans of all ages.  However, I am the one who started the
Glow Girls, and my main purpose was to help keep adolescent and young
adult female Who fans in contact with each other.  There are not so
many of us, and it can get lonely if you don't know any other girls
who like the Who.

>However, I did not like the response from K.D. Giles I (Yellow
>Ledbetter?).

Of course you didn't like it, it wasn't a very nice response.  There
is a good reason for this - I am evil.

>Instead of trying to answer the question, s/he (I being
>careful you see) decided to attack the way the question was posed.
>There is nothing wrong with the way I posed the question.

Oh yes there was!

>Secondly, the term "birds" comes from Pete himself and refers to a
>phrase common in England during the early 60's.

You may not have noticed, but it isn't the early 60's anymore.  I,
personally, do not like being called a bird by anyone other than
Austin Powers.  I can put up with it from that International Man of
Mystery as he has been frozen for the past 30 years and doesn't know
any better.

>I did not assume that women had to be dominated by Men.

No, you merely assumed that every female Who fan was not really a fan
but merely tolerated the Who because some man in her life liked them.
 As a young woman who more than tolerates the Who, and would never
force herself to like anything to impress a man, I find that idea
more than a little irritating.

>That being said, K.D., can you please try now to answer the question?

There is no known and accepted answer for why there are more male
than female Who fans.  That's just the way it is.  Maybe someday
scientists will uncover the Who Fan Gene (goodness knows they've
found a gene for just about everything else) and we'll get to the
bottom of this mystery, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

>Can you identify with Pete's lyrics -- do you like them?

Yes.

>Do you dig the mahem?

You bet.

>What has touched you most about Pete's work?

I cannot say, as I do not know.  But I have always admired his
openness, it is quite refreshing really.  Most people are not so
honest about themselves.  Even when Pete is lying, he is still being
honest in his own way.  (I don't expect anyone else to understand
what I mean by that, but good show if you do!)

-Yellow "boiled egg" Ledbetter