Re: hendrix versus clapton versus pete

Pete's sound
>really went sour was when he abandoned the Gibson S.G and Les Paul --
>cousins in my book -- and started playing that horrendous Stratocaster.

All too true.  In my opinion, the p90 pickups on his SGs helped lend Pete's
playing an absolutely brutal authority which gradually dissipated as he
switched guitars; first to Les Pauls with humbuckers and later to Fenders
and Schecters.

What a shame
>that his change of equipment happened right after the death of Moon.
>Both of these events -- each no less critical in my book -- caused that
>every-glorious sound known as the Thunder of the Horrible Who to forever
>pass us by.

Which is precisely why I think it's important for Polydor/MCA and The Who's
management to release more quality live recordings from the Moon era.  At
this point in time, that's as close as we can expect to get to experiencing
or re-living that Thunder.

 God how I only wish that Pete would plug a Les Paul into a
>stack of tube amps once again, and find someone who can play a crazed
>style of sloppy drums. >

In our dreams....in our dreams.

Buck