Repulsed by Roger??!

A recent remark:

>>I hate Roger. Even though The Who have been my favorite band for years
>>and the years and many do agree that The Who's weakest link was the
>>sometimes off-key singer.

...to which Gary Sumpter effectively replied:

>Are you out of your mind???  How can the Who *possibly* be your "favorite
>band for years" when you think the "off-key" lead singer is the "weakest
>link"???  Now, I'll admit my bias here -- Roger's always been my favourite
>member of the band (I suppose it was hearing/watching the awe-inspiring
>live version of Won't Get Fooled Again from The Kids Are Alright back in
>1979 that did it) -- but could you imagine anyone *else* as the singer?
>Pete may be the creative soul behind the band, but make no mistake -- Roger
>is the heart of the band.  They built a career on angst; while Townshend's
>vocals make a beautiful counterpoint to Daltrey's, there's no voice in all
>of rock better suited to delivering that material.  Look at it this way --
>the band (PT, JE, KM & KJ) pummel you with their sonic assault, get you up
>against the ropes; and then along comes the Daltrey who, with one
>powerhouse wail, doesn't just knock you out, but knocks you out the f-ing
>ring!

I'm not sure I have a favorite member of The Who, but I do value Roger as
much as I do Pete.  The criticisms of Roger in the original message were
really twofold, one being the "sometimes off-key" remark above.  I can't
recall any review criticizing his voice (including, for example, a
flattering online Detroit Free Press review of the "Martyrs And Madmen" CD
which I just discovered), whether in the studio or live.

A couple months back I made a point about how PETE is far more likely to
sing bum notes in concert than Roger, and even my friends who prefer Pete's
voice to Roger's didn't dispute this.  One friend of mine who prefers many
other bands to The Who once characterized Roger's voice as tending to be a
tad flat, but I'm not enough of an expert on the finer points of music to
know if this is true or not.  I also recall someone I worked with about 15
years ago saying she just didn't care for Roger's voice, and I can respect
an opinion like this because it wasn't really a criticism, just a preference.

As for hating him because of something he once said about Pete or The Who,
this makes very little sense.  Roger has almost always been The Who's most
upbeat, optimistic spokesman.  I'm sure it'd be easy for people to toss out
many, many instances of Pete saying something negative about the band (and
Roger, at least indirectly, due to their old tendency to lock horns over
controlling its direction).  And has ROGER ever been an impediment to
recording or touring by The Who (except to protect Pete's health), like Pete
often has?  Being a huge fan of Pete as well, it's easy for me to overlook
the many untruths, inconsistencies, and nasty statements he's made over the
years.  The LAST person who should be "hated" for negativity is Roger Daltrey!

Next month:  A separate tirade on this "weakest link" notion!   : )

--Rich B.