Who Trivia - Answer

A Cupie doll for Chuck (?) was it Chuck?  Sorry, I deleted too fast.

Yes, the answer to the question of the stolen riff is the Stones' "19th
Nervous Breakdown".  However, this is just another example of the Who's
greatness.  Pete said he "stole" that riff, but I'll be damned if I can
find it in "Substitute" and I'm a guitar player.  The greatness lies in
the fact that Pete/Who can take the Stones riff, and make it something
else.

Another example of that can be seen in The Who's early covers.  Listen
to the the way The Beatles covered songs, ie, "Mr. Postman".  It sounds
like the original, but it's the Beatles.  Same for the Stones. Listen to
the cover of "Little Red Rooster"; sounds just like the Muddy/Howling
Wolf versions, but it's the Stones.  Now, listen to The Who cover "Baby
Don't You Do It" or "Summertime Blues" or "Young Man Blues" or "Batman"
or ANY Who-covers.  It doesn't sound like the original, it's The Who!
They'd "Who'd it" as Keith used to say.

Happy New Year to you all.  The best of 1999 to you.  Be careful
tonight, it's "Amatuer Night".  Peace...

Jim in Chicago

"Gather your wits and hold on fast; your mind must learn to roam..." PT