Re: The Who as The Rolling Stones!!

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 Gomper5@aol.com wrote:

> what do you all think about the cover of "under my thumb" done by the who?
> i think the harmonies they sing make up for the lack of the original chords
> from the song.dont get me wrong ,this is the main song from odds and sods that
> i like to blast outta my cd player.

Well, I hate to put the Who down, but this one just doesn't work, IMHO.  A
case of them taking a good song and mangling it.  There's some horrendous
background vocals that could break glass, curdle milk, whatever...The
absence of John only makes matters worse, and they play it so on the beat
with any hint of swing removed.  I know that's The Who's trademark but why
do it to a Stones song?  "The Last Time" isn't so bad though; it seems
better suited to The Who.  That's my two cents, sorry for the bad vibes!

Bill Watson