Fwd: Townshend Returns To Woodstock

-- BEGIN included message

Townshend Returns To Woodstock

.c The Associated Press

 BETHEL, N.Y. (AP) -- The Who guitarist Pete Townshend returned to Woodstock
for its 29th anniversary show even though he had a ``rotten time'' at the
original 1969 rock music festival.

``What brought me back is a sense of looking at the reality of the whole thing
and how it related to my career as an artist,'' Townshend said Saturday before
taking the stage. ``It was the most important concert (the Who) ever played.''

Up to that point, Townshend said, the Who was more of a ``singles band.'' The
1969 release of the album ``Tommy'' and the exposure from Woodstock sparked
U.S. interest.

``Tommy'' sold more than 10 million copies.

``What happened at (the original) Woodstock is that people remembered `Tommy'
and people remembered the Who,'' Townshend said.

Part of the reason Townshend didn't enjoy the original concert was because he
wasn't doing drugs at that point in his life and they were being abused all
around him. So, ``I just sneered at everything.''

Townshend, appearing solo at the weekend anniversary show, said he doesn't see
much a future for the Who anymore.

``It hasn't really existed for me since 1982,'' he said. ``Creatively, it's
dead, dead, dead. I don't see anything there at all.''

AP-NY-08-16-98 1409EDT

 Copyright 1998 The Associated Press.  The information  contained in the AP
news report may not be published,  broadcast, rewritten or otherwise
distributed without  prior written authority of The Associated Press.

To edit your profile, go to keyword <A HREF="aol://1722:NewsProfiles">
NewsProfiles</A>.
For all of today's news, go to keyword <A HREF="aol://1722:News">News</A>.

-- END included message