PC Pete

> anything to do with such a lyric change.  Now, if Pete had changed a
> certain line from "Dr. Jimmy", I could see how THAT could be
> considered a case of political correctness at work.

YL:

I would think if he was going to change any line from QUAD to become
more politically correct, it would be: "How come the girls come on oh-so
cool/And when you meet `em, every one's a fool..."
However, I don't think he should change a word. It was the voice of
Jimmy, not Pete Townshend, and that's how HE was thinking at that
moment, after being spurned. I have to wonder if women feel it's not PC
for one of their own to mutter in disgust "MEN!" after a bad experience.

> Hadn't heard about that, but I could forgive him for it if it was just for
> that one occasion.

Alan:

It's certainly more forgivable than Jagger changing to "Let's spend SOME
TIME together" for Ed Sullivan.
Those who feel they must pursue the silliness of PC behavior should take
a moment to consider whether a term or phrase is meant to be derogative
before insisting on a change. The next thing you know, Huck Finn will be
censored for portraying the historically-correct manner in which people
spoke during that time. If we are now going to sanitize our history to
reflect today's more "enlightened" views, I think there's plenty of
other material which would come before the largely innocent QUAD. Better
to leave it alone altogether, rather than censor our art.

--

            Cheers                ML

"We all know success/When we all find our own dreams..."
                                              Pete Townshend