Re: "Drowned"

Joe Lewinski wrote:

<snip>
>In the Philly and Camden
>shows that I saw live, I was disappointed that he added the lyrics ".
.. but
>I don't want to die.  I don't want do die..." during the chorus "I
want to
>drown."
>Was Pete advised to do this so that it is politically correct?   How
does
>everyone feel about artists changing the lyrics to suit the times.

Uh...do you know what the term "politically correct" means?  Because
I don't think that political correctness could imaginably have
anything to do with such a lyric change.  Now, if Pete had changed a
certain line from "Dr. Jimmy", I could see how THAT could be
considered a case of political correctness at work.  Which begs the
question, if Pete was really concerned about seeming PC, wouldn't he
have changed THAT line before any other?

For what it's worth, Pete was singing the "I don't want to die..."
bit to "Drowned" as early as 1979.  I can't claim to know his reasons
for adding that line to the song, but it's not something he just
decided to do for the '96-'97 shows.

-Yellow "Here and then gone again" Ledbetter