Arena Rock

> Also, he said that he hated how big name rock groups are only in it for the
> money once they start playing arena's because they charge $50 per show as
> opposed to $5 per hardcore show.

Ben:

For one thing, the first arena shows were a lot less than $50. Shea
Stadium was probably the first. I don't know the cost of those tickets,
but Hollywood Bowl (same year) shows cost $5. So it might have been $7.
I saw The Who in `75 for $15. In `89 it was $30, `96 (MSG) $70 (special
event, though) and last summer for only $23. Given that doing 6 shows
costs a band more per show than an entire tour (bringing the equipment
over, etc), I must say at least for The Who...I don't feel like they've
been trashing my wallet. On the other hand, it'll be the day Hell REALLY
freezes over before I pay $100 to see The Eagles...
You're right about the promoters etc. being a big part of the ticket
price...Ticketmaster and SCAT have their hand in it, too. Another is
very simple: the bands draw a larger group of people, so they HAVE to
play a larger venue...and the larger venues cost more to rent.
Add to this the fact that as a business, Rock concerts have changed
considerably since the `60s. The roadies actually get paid these days
and the venues often demand expensive insurance for the show. And
security. And the promotion costs are a lot higher. EVERYTHING costs
more! And everyone has their hand out, too.
If they have a extensive stage show, like a bridge that goes across the
crowd...well, that has GOT to be expensive. And from what I understand,
the Stones had two of them...one they used and one getting set up for
the next show. Even back in `74, Emerson Lake And Palmer had *9* trucks
worth of stuff they traveled with.
If the bands were to play smaller venues, as your friend would like
(Hell, so would I), then the places would be jammed to the gills and few
people would even get to see the shows...no matter how many nights they
played.
So while it's not a perfect system, it's the best anyone has come up
with so far.
Are the bands doing it for the money? Of course! What other reason could
there be? You don't think we would have gotten QUAD without someone
willing to shell out the bucks, do you? Or does your friend, I should
say. Tell him to be glad this is the way it is, else we'd have very
little music to listen to! No Rock music at all, probably.

--

            Cheers                ML

"We all know success/When we all find our own dreams..."
                                              Pete Townshend