Re: Who's Worst

> Another lie in liner notes.  Entwistle originally prepared a 3-disc set
> of Who live material which was rejected because 1) it was claimed the
> bass was too heavy in the mix

Brian:

Imagine John doing such a thing, right? Ha ha ha. I know it's true, but
it's funny too.
The sad part is: we're still waiting for that collection of live
material.

> and 2) the record company insisted it be from the 1982 tour.

Which reminds me of another of my complaints about this album: it was
released on MCA (FD & IH were originally on Warner Brothers), and there
are NO songs on it from the two WB albums. So taken as a representitive
of that particular tour, it's a utter failure. It comes off more as a
"oldies tour" sounvenir. Even the name, denoting it being the LAST Who
album, is a downer. Of course it wasn't. MCA might have been planning
the WHO'S MISSING collection by then, but if not they should have
realized there would be more releases. Which goes back to my "monkeys
with pens" theory, but we won't get into that now...
The title might have made sense had Townshend come up with it for an
album of all new studio material intended as a "bookend" for their
career, but as a collection of previously released tracks (poorly) done
live, it...it...STINKS! Sorry, but it's the only word that works.
As for Long Live Rock, I hear ya but personally like the Toronto version
a bit better. Another point in its favor: it's a concert, not a bunch of
tracks put out-of-sequence. Daltrey was the one who planned the set
lists, and there was a definite pattern intended...an ebb and flow,
highs and lows. It's easy to see this comparing the old LAL to the
remixed one. And only too clearly missing from WL.

--

            Cheers                ML

"We all know success/When we all find our own dreams..."
                                              Pete Townshend