Ringo vs. Zak

Message text written by INTERNET:TheWho@igtc.com
>Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:28:52 -0500
From: "J. Goodwilling" <jgood@anet-stl.com>
Subject: Re: Question

I was thoroughly impressed with Zak's drumming too. Reminded me a lot of
Keith. Zak is a far better drummer than his father ever was.<

Whoa, whoa, there...I know this is a Who mailing list, but I've got to
disagree with you on that one (politely, of course).  Ringo is probably
the most underrated drummer in rock, because he wasn't flashy
like Keith, Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, etc.  But he WAS a great drummer
in his own way.  Proof?  Check out "Rain", the B-side of "Paperback
Writer".  His performance is incredible--a lot like Moon's style, in
fact!  Also "Hello Goodbye", "A Day In The Life" (the tom-toms on that
are stunning), "Ticket To Ride", and both John and Yoko's PLASTIC
ONO BAND albums.  Ringo rated these last two as his greatest per-
formances, and he was correct, IMHO.  John Lennon rated Ringo as a
"damn fine drummer" (I think those were his words) in one of his
final interviews.

I still think Keith was THE greatest drummer, but I don't think
Zak is better than his dad was when his dad was with the Beatles.
Zak seems more like a Keith clone than a drummer with his own
style.  Time will tell on that one.

So excuse me for gently arguing with you...Have a good day.

- --Carolyn
"When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads...."