Kenney, Quad, etc.

     Hello all,

     I am new to this list and this is my first posting.

     I would like to offer a few words in defense of the much-maligned
     Kenney Jones.  Am I the only one that actually LIKES Kenney?  I have
     nothing against Simon or Zak, but unlike them, Kenney was an actual
     MEMBER of The Who.  He also had historical relevance to the band,
     having been in the Small Faces and having played on the movie
     soundtracks (Tommy, Quad, McVicar) and Rough Mix.  If he sounded
     "dinky" on the albums, I think that was as much a function of the
     production, as anything else.  If you listen closely, you will hear
     some fairly complicated beats on Face Dances.  I have plenty of live
     bootlegs from 79-80 where Kenney is AMAZING.  It seemed as though it
     was primarily Roger who did not want Kenney in The Who.  In a 1989
     Rolling Stone article (remember when they cared?), when Pete was asked
     about Roger thinking that Kenney was not the right drummer for The
     Who, he said he thought Roger was "full of shit" on that matter.  It
     always seemed kind of wormy to me that they did not invite him to
     participate in the 1989 tour (it's not like he was dead).

     On to happier thingies...I saw the Who show in Tampa and it was great!
     It is fitting to have seen what may be my last ever Who show there,
     since I saw my first ever Who show there in 1989. (I live in Texas) I
     also saw the Who in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.  That was
     great because it is a smaller place than most of the other places on
     the tour and it was good to see both versions (Gary Glitter/Billy Idol
     vs. PJ Proby/Ben Waters).  Pete played a lot more electric guitar on
     the second US leg, (although I enjoy his acoustic playing, too!).

     I got to meet them and they were, overall, quite nice.  I got a couple
     of albums signed.  In 1989, I got an album signed by John and Roger,
     but Pete didn't sign.  This time I got John and Pete, but Roger didn't
     sign.  There were a lot of "autograph dealers" around and Roger did
     not want to sign for anyone but actual fans.  (I certainly have no
     intention of selling my autographs). I also got Simon on his solo
     album and Rabbit to sign a Free bootleg.  Rabbit thought it was cool
     and wanted one.  I gave him a phone number and when he got back to his
     house in Texas after the tour, he called!  I am going to try to send
     him one, if I can find another.

     Does anyone know if there are any plans to release an official live
     album and/or video of this tour?  I hope they will, even though they
     will no doubt receive harsh criticism for doing so (rehashing their
     old stuff...blah, blah, blah).

     Finally, If anyone has any bootlegs or Videos for sale/trade.  Feel
     free to e-mail me privately.