What the h-ll are you talking about?

From:	Hart Deer, INTERNET:D.Deer@students.oglethorpe.edu

RE:	What the h-ll are you talking about?

<< what's wrong with being upset by Pete's homosexual
tendencies?  The songs take on meanings beyond the music per se. =

There really is this star-fan relationship that Pete keeps =

talking and writing about. The rock star is putting himself on =

the line to fight for his ideals, his way of life, and who he is =

as a person. A true rock song is only rock in the
context of its creator, or else it's just music.>>

I would agree with you on this point but I believe the meanings of
the music is more subjective than that.  The only one that truly
knows the meaning of any particular piece is the composer himself =

and that changes with distance & time.  When it gets to the fans the
context can completely change.  The understanding & connection that
I have with "Rough Boys" will be completely different from yours due
to all the variables (i.e age, gender, location). =

<<He and his music are one! Therefor, if Pete is gay (a point which
I am still not completely convinced about though I am being more and
more convinced as these posts continue), it really does change
the music itself! For those of us who have no homosexual tendencies
whatsoever, there is a great barrier between us and a gay rock star,
especially if a lot of the rock star's material is about romantic
relationships.>>

First; I don't think we can call Pete gay or even bi-sexual for that
matter.  The man loves women; that is very evident.  From my experience
of sharing a house with a gay man & having several gay friends there is =

a phenomenon that I witnessed that I would like to tell you about that
Pete fits into.  Every once in a while there was a new face on the scene
(so to speak).  Someone that I knew didn't belong.  They were mostly
intellectual/artistic types who just because of thier nature had a
heighted sensativity to those around them and really fed into the crap
of "We all have gay/lesbian tendencies but we are taught to suppress
them".  They mistook their adoration of another man for these so called
tendencies and took the step to act on them.  Most of these men would
become friends for a time but normally when I got right down to it they
fled the nest with the realization that the adoration they feel does
not warrant their being bent over a chair with their pants around their
ankles.  =

<<Even according to the recent Rough Boys interview that
was posted, Pete said he HAD had a gay life, and he wouldn't tell
whether he had actually had a gay experience because he didn't want
to break the his gay's fans feelings of solidarity with him. If Pete
actually had had a gay experience, what feelings of solidarity with his
gay fans would be broken if he said so? That's a rhetorical question,
BTW.>>

I would please remind everyone that during the time of the interview Pete=

was in the middle of an admitted downward spiral of drugs and alcohol.
This is most likely reasonsible for his muddled & rambling responses.  As=

usual you never take Pete's interviews at face value; you never know what=

kind of a mood he was in or how much he wanted to f%$k with the reporter.=

<<Also, Who fans should be the last people on earth to be politically
correct. What is "homophobia"? That means a FEAR of homosexuality. Many
people disapprove of getting stoned, but few people FEAR stonedness.
Many people dislike oysters, but few people FEAR oysters. Anyone who
uses pansy little pop terms like "homophobia" is just trying to
impose the quality of fear on people who disapprove of or dislike
homosexuality in order to get false sense of security about his own
views of homosexuality. And obviously, it IS a false sense of security
for anyone who uses that offensively stupid term, because anyone who
is secure about his stance on an issue doesn't need to resort to
false attacks on his opposition in order to feel okay about himself.>>

Won't even touch this one!

<<SO CUT IT OUT! Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let Pete Townshend bite.>>=

Hart; speak for yourself only.  I wouldn't mind a bite from Pete

Sorry for the bandwidth
Kathleen