Long Live Rock!

Dear Who Fans,

	I don't think that I have posted to this list before although I have
written to some of you privately.  I'm a student from Cornell University
who is currently studying abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland.  But in the
summer, I live in West Palm Beach, Florida, where I saw the greatest
concert of my life in August, the last Who concert to date.  I just
wanted to let you all know that I think this professor who thinks that
rock and roll should be limited to repeating something that was
innovative 40 years ago is full of shit.  If Chuck Berry and his
contemporaries believed in staying static and completely loyal to their
predecessors, we probably wouldn't have rock and roll at all.  Music
needs to evolve, no matter what genre it is in.  Groups like The Beatles
and The Who helped make Rock a legitimate art form.  I feel that The Who
should be especially commended because they have stayed fairly true to
their R & B roots while tackling thoughtful and unconventional themes.
The Rolling Stones have never really been very innovative, although I do
like most of their music and really enjoyed seeing them in concert
during the Voodoo Lounge tour.  I find it depressing that this "scholar"
finds originality to be a fault.
	Also, Tammy, please write to me.  Just use the same e-mail address that
I've always used.  I keep forgetting to bring your address with me to
the computer lab.

Sincerely,

Melissa Herman