Re: The Who, John Hiatt, and The Kinks

>From: Deathy Mouse <hpeek@dave-world.net>

>>People who take potshots at Pete/The Who in songs go
>>quickly to a special rung of my shitlist.  That's how John ("Perfectly Good
>>Guitar") Hiatt got there.
>
>Except that Pete has stated publicly in interviews that he loves the song...
>And he and Hiatt are actually friends.

Maybe so...but none of that means that *I* have to like the song or Hiatt.
As far as that goes, I know Pete in a way thinks that smashing guitars (and
rock itself, for that matter) is pretty dumb, and I know what he means, but
that doesn't mean I have to listen quietly to slams against rock, Pete,
gear smashing, or me for that matter, from any random geezer on the street.
And Mr. Hiatt is more on the "random geezer" side of my ledger than
otherwise.  His less-than-direct (aka "wimpy") response to Bruce K's direct
question does nothing to improve his rating.

>That song "Perfectly Good Guitar" wasn't a dig at Townshend, it was a dig on
>Nirvana.

I didn't know that; however, according to Bruce's post, that is both
correct and possibly not the whole story.  I'm pretty sure I heard
something more than just a reference to smashing a guitar in the
song...something about "1964" (?) that seemed to point pretty directly to
Pete.  However,  I'm always open to education on these matters.  Tell you
what, if you care, send me the full lyrics (I'll have pity on the list and
not say to post them) and we can discuss it further.

Alan

"The Rolling Stones are the Microsoft of rock." --James Sethian