Time signatures and more on "1921"

Joe:
>I was wondering how many of the Who's songs are in
>a time-signature other that 4/4. I know Love, Reign O'er Me
>is in 6/8. Are there any others???

Unless I am greatly mistaken, "Music Must Change" is also in 6/8 time.
  And I think "I've Been Away" is in 3/4 time, although I'd have to
go listen to it again to be sure.

Now to pick more nits with "1921"!

Steve:
>Funny thing.  I've always thought that that song related to the age
of =
>Tommy's mom, or her lover. It then fits with the rest of the
timeline in =
>my head

I think that's really the only way the song makes sense, and as has
been mentioned it was used in this manner in the "Tommy" theater show.
  Of course, this begs the question of why the song was titled "1921"
instead of merely "21".

Theory One: Because Pete wanted it that way, and mere mortals such as
ourselves should not even try to understand the complex and
convoluted workings of Pete's mind.

Theory Two (this one just occurred to me): Someone OTHER than Pete
gave the song that title.  I have no evidence to back this up, but it
is a possibility.  After all, weird things can happen to song titles.
 I have been told that European versions of "Quadrophenia" list one
track as "The Punk and the Godfather", whereas we in the US have it
listed as "The Punk Meets the Godfather".  So I'm thinking that maybe
"1921" was originally intended to be just "21" and a typist screwed
it up or something.  Then again, if this was the case you'd think
Pete would have mentioned it at some point.  But far be it from me to
try and predict what Pete might do...(see Theory One).

Dover87:
>people cpt. walker came home during world war 2.

In the "Tommy" film and theater show it is made clear that Captain
Walker served in World War II.  However, the lyrics of the "Tommy"
album do not actually say this!  All we have to go on is "Captain
Walker didn't come home/his unborn child will never know him.
Believed to be missing with a number of men/don't expect to see him
again."  Those lines don't tell us which, if any, war Captain Walker
vanished during.  As many people have said many times, the first part
of "Tommy" is very vague and confusing with little clear action.  The
truly amazing thing is that "Tommy" managed to be such a hugely
successful work despite these obvious shortcomings.  I guess people
bought the record 'cause it was like...good, or something.  It sure
wasn't 'cause it was easy to follow.

Mark:
>Not really, but in a time while The Who is doing little which might
>solicit discussion, it's a legitimate topic...don't you think?

Quite so!  Whenever actual Who news gets slow we have to resort to
these sorts of discussions.  If we don't, we inevitably end up
talking about something even stupider, like Roger's exact height or
Pete's taste in shoes.

- -Yellow "Better this than the other!" Ledbetter