Re: Re Kinks/Who... You Really Got Me

>and that a song needed "you" and "me" in its title to be a hit
>(apparently,
>Ray listened to him: "If you still want me"/"You do something to me"
>was
>their 2nd single, and YRGM the 3rd.)
>
>** Keith.

In the book The Beatles Sessions, Paul McCartney says much the same thing
about their early songs ("She Loves You," "I Want To Hold Your Hand,"
etc.)
Now look at the early Who songs: "I Can't Explain," "My Generation," "I'm
A Boy," and lyrics "I don't mind other guys dancing with my girl," "I'm a
substitute."  Pete may have been one of the first pop writers to remove
the "you" from the equation and write with himself as the subject.

			-Brian in Atlanta