Feedback in I Feel Fine

Bryce inquired:

> You have any dates as to when the Who opened for the Beatles?

According to Ray Davies, in his book X-Ray and in his stage dialogue on
his current tour, The Kinks were replaced by the High Numbers as an
opening act for The Beatles after You Really Got Me became a hit.
YRGM was released sometime in August `64, and entered the (British)
charts on 8/22/64. It was on the charts (top 20) for 9 weeks.
The recording of I Feel Fine was completed on 10/4/64.
The timing certainly suggests, and rather strongly I think, that
Townshend's use of feedback was seen and emulated by John Lennon (in the
very next recording session?). In the rather competitive atmosphere of
the mid-60s British scene, I find it hard to believe that this was JL's
first exposure to The Who, but The Beatles were rather busy boys about
this time...so it's possible. However, as this info suggests, Lennon had
almost definitely seen them before he began recording IFF.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend