Re: Quad the movie and pills, thrills and bellyaches!

In message <3378F283.2236@sccoast.net>, "Mark R. Leaman"
<mleaman@sccoast.net> writes

>> Have you ever seen 'Made In Britain' which stars a young Tim Roth?
>
>No; I haven't seen it in the video stores but I'll look.

I doubt very much you'll find it.  It's a 1981/83??? screenplay from UK TV.

I really recommend it though.  Find somebody with conversion facilities
and I'll mail it off to you!

>> Backed up?
>
>Like a constipated goose. Let me put it this way: the OJ trial was
>fairly speedy. A lot of criminal cases don't see a court for close to a
>year.

I see.  I don't know really why things take so long nowadays.  Anybody???

>> If it was on sale in the High Street, it was already well out of vogue.
>
>I could say the same about the US; once it's on TV...

Imagine the frustration of the less affluent Mod.  He saves for weeks for
that elusive pair of hipster trousers only to find Cathy McGowan trivialising
the fashions on t.v. and in magazines.

>>From what I've gotten, there were two "Mods." One is what we see in Quad
>the movie...a lifestyle. The other is a fashion...which is what the
>lifestyle might have looked like to the general, non-hip public.
>Swinging Londoners, for instance...or artificial Beatles bands. I'd say
>Rod probably fell into the "fashion" catagory.

Mod is really an umbrella term.  Being very simplistic you could say that
there were fashion conscious Mods and then there were troublemakers
jumping onto a bandwagon.  A truly fashion conscious Mod wouldn't want
to get his sta press trousers creased and would avoid trouble.

Rod was certainly a fashion conscious Mod.

>> I've never heard recordings from this era but I understand he was quite
>> good.
>
>I have, and he was. I have one track on a compilation called Stone Cold
>Crazy, by The Ansley Dunbar Retaliation, with Peter Green on guitar. As
>much as I don't like Stewart, it's a great track. He was more than fair
>with Jeff Beck, too. Too bad he didn't continue along this path.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

>> Black Beauties or "Bombers" (Durophet) were withdrawn for being *too*
>> dangerous!
>
>Like any drug (or anything), one should always use moderation. They were
>so pure and fine, you didn't feel the urge to overuse them.

Without doubt, the most abused drug was Drinamyl.  They flooded the
market and were cheap and cheerful.  You could buy them in huge
quantities for very little.

- --
Gary L

Spare a thought for those suffering.  Support M.E. AWARENESS WEEK.