Re: my two cents interpretation

In message <A2470E7D22@nugget.ngc.peachnet.edu>, "Frank S.
Corotto" <fcorotto@nugget.ngc.peachnet.edu> writes
>My interpretation of the end the QUAD the album is that Jimmy drowns.
> He goes out to the rock and does not know why until he gets there.
>Then he lets the boat drift away.  Meanwhile of course there is the
> drowning theme throughout the album.  And in the movie the drowning
>theme is brought up when it is mentioned that Jimmy's relative
>(uncle?  I forget) drowned in a well.

It's important not to converge the two storylines here.  Your post seems
dance between the two.

As far as the album goes, it's conceivable that Jimmy could drown,
although judging by the size of this rock he is more likely to drown
himself
on purpose.  It's equally feasible that he might somehow raise the
attention
of a passing motorboat and be saved but for some reason I like to
envisage
him stuck on that rock forever, becoming literally the bare bones of what
he was.

>To blame Jimmy's paranoia on drugs is a little to much like an '80s
>message for me.

This theory could only ever be attributed to the film which is a separate
story *based* upon the album, it is not Townshend's original vision.

Pete himself refers to the album being about a kid with a multiple
personality disorder whose condition is made worse by the drugs he's
taking.  The film however is less defined, and open to discussion.

>Chances are the nature of Jimmy's problems and the ending are left
>open because Pete wanted it that way.  At least there is more of a
>plot than in Tommy.

Quite, imagine the anti climax if the coastguard just happened to be
passing  :-)

>Maybe we should take a vote.  OK, how many say he drowns?  Raise
your
>hands...

Well, we know for sure he survives the end of the movie so I guess you
are
referring to the album again eh Frank?

- - --
Gary L