Quad the movie

In message <3374A587.1F99@sccoast.net>, "Mark R. Leaman"
<mleaman@sccoast.net> writes
>I think that all of the actors did an excellent job. Even down to the
>bit parts, like the guy in the bath chamber or Jim's extremely Cockney
>co-worker "I ain't takin' all dat fokin' change!"

You mean Timothy Spall with his "I ain't carryin' all that fokin' change
about" ?

Yes, the film is full of familiar faces.  For many of them, this was their first
acting job.  99% of them are very big names here in Britain now.  Offhand,
the only face I never see is George Innes, from the cafe.

Thank goodness John Lydon failed his auditions.  He would've turned the
film into a travesty.

>> The most relevant references are made by his friends.
>> The most striking comment is made by Dave in Alfredo's Cafe.
>> "Christ, he's really weird tonight."
>
>A good point. But Jimmy's behavior could just as easily be the result of
>an increased use of speed (the "ups and downs," one might say) after the
>hilarious Chemist scene.

The chemist scene?  He gives the majority of the pills to Steph!

I like to take things a step further, to think that the pills are solely
responsible for his multiple personality disorder.  Acute amphetamine
psychosis is a very volatile condition to be in.

Obviously, this goes against Pete's concept but it's how I like to see it.

>> I think it would have been detrimental to the film for it to concentrate too
>> much on the multiple personality side of things.
>
>I agree; it would have been extremely difficult to convey it to an
>audience unfamiliar with the story. I love the movie, however I think it
>has a different message and focus than the album.

I prefer the direction the film takes.  I've always related to it more as it has
(at times) mirrored my life to a very large degree.

>> I don't really think that the film gives us a "happy ending".  He doesn't
>> exactly seem at peace with himself as he walks away from the cliff.  I think
>> there's an equal amount of uncertainty there.
>
>What I mean by "happy ending" is that the situation has been resolved.
>Jimmy was let down by Mod, so he symbolically throws it out of his life.
>Does this mean he's going to have a great life from then on? No; this
>isn't Cinderella. Who fans in the audience would have torn down the
>screen had it ended that way, I think. That would have been my first
>reaction.
>The album ends with Jimmy finally aware of his problem...but what he's
>going to do about it isn't even implied. The movie is more
>definite...that's all I'm saying.

I know what you are saying but the way I see things Jimmy throws the
scooter off the edge of the cliff in disgust at so much betrayal.  Everything
he held dear, every hope he held on to is gone.  He seems a lot more
volatile than the album Jimmy and a lot less stable by the end of the film.

By comparison the album finds Jimmy more at peace with himself.  He's
thinking rationally and is accepting his predicament fairly well for
somebody stuck on a rock!

- --
Gary L