Feng/Fang? Didn't matter.

Didn't Martin Luther King Jr once say, "We should judge a man by the content
his character and not whether or not he is White Fang" or at least something
quite similar?

Having said that, Wally Feng is the guy who said something to the effect
that no one bothers to post to this list but Ledbetter (whether he intended
his nickname for Ledbetter as a jab or not) and he also said that Ledbetter
is the most annoying person on the 'net, though he used a descriptor that
was much less flattering than "person". I wish I had saved past digests so I
could quote directly, but I'm pretty sure most of us remember. Hm... that
seems to me like he was clearly slagging Ledbetter and this list.

Aside from that, Wally Feng made several rather bizarrely ante-Who comments
about the Who's influence, stretching very far to make points that were
not supported. For instance, he accused a past post of having made up the
fact that McCartney was very influenced by Townshend and the Who, though
anyone who's ever watched The Beatle's Anthology has seen Paul McCartney
say that "Helter Skelter" was a response to the jealosy he felt towards
the raw unparalleled agression of "I Can See For Miles".

Seeing as Wally's commentaries have not only been absurd but deragaroty in
their transparantly absurd attempts to discredit the Who at all costs,
I propose that such commentaries be shrugged off. That way, if Wally just
posted them to make people react (like I'm doing now), he will fail. If
Wally has innocently succumbed to anti-Who propoganda, he will be as happy
as the rest of the list if the list doesn't over-react.

As to Wally's personal attacks, they were INITIALLY unprovoked and very
uncool. Now, they are still uncool, but the list has played the flaming
game, and now Wally has food to flame with. Notice we haven't been seeing
Ledbetter around lately (at least I haven't, being simply a digest
subscriber). If I was Ledbetter, I know I'd hang back a while, knowing that
anything I wrote, even a simple "Hi", would be taken by the list as an
example of a legitimate Ledbetter post that shouldn't be attacked and perhaps
would be attacked by Wally, thus setting off a huge and encumbering chain
reaction of posting battles over the legitimacy of one little post. This is
unfortunate, seeing as most of us on the list seem to consider Ledbetter's
articles, anicdotes, and antics to be fun and interesting, often informative.
Perhaps if Wally's personal attacks on the list and Ledbetter go unresponded
to, things will be for the better.

Okay. That having been said, welcome to the list, Wally. Everyone now and
then has bad days, so maybe if you just make entirely different posts from
the ones you've made so far and make no mention in them as to what has come
before, everything will be happy.

Peace to all!
- -Hart Deer
(deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu)