Re: Call To Arms, Kitchen sink

Colleen,
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!  There's no reason why citizens of
this or any other Who mailing list can't carry on debates which non-Who
fanatics might find redundant, pointless, or otherwise mindnumbing.
Hey, who asked them anyway?!  I'm here to have a good time, learn a few
more anecdotes and pick up some more Who goodies.  That and to pay
allegiance to the World's Greatest Rock Band...The Bay City Rollers (not
really, no).  A debate is not a personal attack (unless some bonehead
makes it one).  It's just for fun.  I intend to be the Gandhi of the
Whooniverse; I will attack no one, but will defend my pointless point to
the Death.  En garde...

That said... Tommy brought The Who fame and fortune, a legendary live
act, and contains some truly timeless tracks, bad production and all.
I've nearly wrecked my car a dozen times listening to "The Overture" at
volume 11.

Kenney Jones and Keith Moon?  Who was the best drummer in 1978?  Let me
put this question another way since the answer to both questions is the
same.  Who was the best rock drummer while he lived.  Keith Moon.
Period.  Even in the paunchy, slowed down days of '78 Keith was still
the most imaginative drummer in Rock, and pre-By Numbers he was without
peer.  I'll concede there were more innovative guitarists than Pete,
singers debatably equal to Roger, and at least one bass player in John's
league (as someone else wrote, Jack Bruce), but I will suffer no debate
on the subject of Rock's best drummer.  Moon the Loon.  No one comes
close.
*Apologies to Mr. Jones, Bonham, Collins, and Pert, three of whom I saw
live; they are without peer today (and let's not forget Mr. Mitchell and
the amazing Ginger Baker).

Uncle Charlie.  Did The 'Oo invent Punk Rock?  There are a million bands
and artists staking this claim for themselves.  I think Punk has many
uncles but no father.  There are too many influences involved to say The
Who Did It, BUT... I do believe if there was one band whose image, music
and live act became a model for Punk bands, it was The Who.  "My
Generation" was definitely the prototype for all Punk anthems to come.
Check out how many punk bands recorded covers of MG.  That says it all.

Rui.  You're right.  Pete didn't see Hendrix for the first time with
Clapton.  (Now for real nitpicking!) But Clapton called Townshend to
catch the movie ("Leo, who cares!?". Okay, I'm nuts).  The whole Pete
monologue originally comes from the documentary film, Jimi Hendrix.
Where did you find out about Hendrix jamming with Entwistle and Moon?  I
have no reason to doubt it, it's just I never heard this before or I
forgot about it (far more possible).  Does anyone else know this story?

Dave (Tape Trader)... bring it on.  I'll get my list in order this
weekend.  That goes for anyone else looking to trade (Eric, where are
you?).

Jennifer Fox.  You said it.  The Beatles and Who dug each other and
influenced each other (I beat that to death a few days ago - so shutting
up now).  But I think Colleen (and others) have the right idea.  As long
as there's no venom being spat these debates can be great.  I'm learning
a lot (ie: I'm as long winded on the Net as I am in person!).  Also,
Pete was a brilliant guitarist, but Hendrix was a guitar genius.  Pete,
Clapton, The Beatles and Stones (and everyone else) put Hendrix on that
pedestal, not me (and I'm a Who fanatic, believe me).

Brian in Atlanta - great timeline.  Luke - thanks for the Alan Parsons
info.  Phil - Can I kill your grandmother too?  Where's she hiding those
Les Pauls?!

- --Leo (next episode: War And Peace, Unabridged)