Heavy Metal Who

> When was the last time you heard Hendrix playing Heavy Metal.
> Exactly.  I know the Who or even Led Zep aren't _really_ heavy metal

Phil:

The Who's music was certainly Heavy Metal at the time. Zep & Hendrix,
too. Compared to today's HM, no...but they were the heaviest of the
heavies at the time. Like all forms of Rock, there has been progression
(unfortunately, the lyrics have suffered and HM became a formula in the
mid-`70s).

> If you listen too something like, say, Killing Floor, off Live at
> Winterland, and then compare it to,say, Young Man Blues off LAL, you
> can really hear the difference in styles between Townshend & Hendrix,
> but the gulf between Page & Townshend seems to be smaller.

I'd disagree with you here, since both PT's & JH's main style worked
around the use of controlled feedback, whereas Page was playing straight
Blues riffs (for the most part). Pete was the least Blues-influenced of
the three, too. For instance, both Hendrix and Page played Killing Floor
(in Page's case, renamed The Lemon Song for some reason), but Pete
rarely played any Blues after MG...none (that I can recall at the
moment) until MG Blues/Roadrunner on the`75 tour.
Comparing KF & YMB doesn't really work for me, since they are quite
different. It's like comparing Stairway To Heaven to WGFA because
they're both long songs at the end of side one...

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend