Re:Jimmy Page

>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 PURENEZ wrote:
>Subject: Re: Jimmy Page
>
>!@#$%%$#Q@ jimmy page he never had an original thought in his head in his
>life.....(check out Robert Johnson,Howlin Wolf,Muddy Waters,ect to find out
>who REALLY wrote the "so called "led zep tunes)

 Oh PA-LEEEEEEEEZE,gimme a break.Yeah,Jimmy Page recycled some blues riffs
to write some of the early Zeppelin songs,but those were his
influences.Pretty much every rock guitarist to come out of England in the
60's was influenced by those same guys to some extent.Where do you think
that Clapton got his licks from?And while we're on the topic of stealing
riffs,have you ever noticed that Townshend stole the riff from "Gloria" by
Van Morrison and Them,not once but twice,when he wrote "Wasp Man" and "In A
Hand Or A Face"?And Pete has also admitted that he wrote "I Can't Explain"
when he heard a Kinks song ("All Day And All Night"),and when he went home
and tried to play it himself,he couldn't remember exactly how it went.And
let's not forget "I'm The Face",which "borrowed" heavily from a Yardbirds
song (Can't remember exactly which one,but I think it was "Got Love If You
Want It").Yeah,Jimmy Page certainly borrowed some licks from the old blues
masters,but he expanded the technique far beyond the point that they had
taken it.Songs like "Black Dog","Out On The Tiles",and later "Kashmir" and
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" were like nothing that Muddy Waters or Howlin'
Wolf had ever done.
 I subscribe to this digest because The Who are my favorite band,and because
I'm interested in other people's thoughts on Who-related matters.But I can't
stand seeing people making foolish statements about Page or Zeppelin
either.Page wrote some great riffs,and Zeppelin recorded some great
albums.Are we really so insecure as Who fans that we need to shit on every
other band and musician,in order to make ourselves feel "better" about
liking The Who?I don't think so.

                         Long Live Rock,

                                I.S.

 BEER...It's not just for breakfast anymore!