Re: Cymbalism & Jimmy Page

Mark R. Leaman wrote:

> > Compared to most other guitarists Page is still world class.  Compared
> > to the younger Page he's a pale shadow of his former greatness.
>
> Leo:
>
> Ah...I once got into a debate along these lines. I stated that Pete
> Townshend had improved to the point where he was currently a better
> guitarist than Page is NOW. I cited Live Aid, in which one can see Pagie
> doing battle with a cymbal stand while playing, and PT's `82 & `89
> Eminence Front solos. I was told that Page had gotten his old level
> back. I then cited NO QUARTER, where he "ain't that great." I was told
> that it was recorded at the beginning of the tour, and I should get some
> boots because he was better now.
> So...is there any way to win? I was very impressed with Townshend's
> acoustic work at MSG last July...but he wasn't playing any electric
> there. Perhaps someone who saw the tour that followed (or the current
> one) can confirm that he's still "there?"
>
> > anyone who's seen the carcass called Keith Richards can verify what prolonged heroin
> > use can do to a great musician.
>
> It's there for all to see; rent Hail Hail Rock And Roll and watch
> Richards do all his interviews with head rolling around but never
> leaving the back of his chair. I cannot even imagine Pete in this
> condition.
>
> --
>
>             Cheers                ML
>
>  "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
>   Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
>   I don't know..."
>             Pete Townshend
  I saw The Who or as Townshend called them, TED, at the Knick Arena in
Albany last November and at the first MSG show last July.  In that time
the size of the band was reduced and Pete began to play a red Fender
Strat.  He smoked through "Love Reign O'er Me" and a revamped version of
"Who Are You".  He even Windmilled.  He has maintained his ability to
play where Page has unfortunatly lost his edge.

		Signed a Rabid Who Fan,

			R.S.  a.k.a.  Baba-Oriley@worldnet.att.net