Live Aid Revisited

>Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:02:28 -0400 (EDT)
>From: BearInLV@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Liveaid

>Despite what Bill Graham and Martha Quinn said, the Who played on during the
>outage.  The only thing that was lost was the satellite feed (I presume the
>power to whatever ground equipment they use to upload the signal).  It was
>fairly obvious that they continued, as the broadcast resumed as the reached
>the end of the second number.  The time of the outage was exactly right for
>them to have finished MG and started the second number (which I can't
>remember right now...was it Pinball Wizard?).  More evidence of this was
>during WGFA, when they lost the feed again briefly.  When the performance was
>replayed on ABC later that night there was no evidence of a problem.

Actually, the ABC version was simpy an edited version of what was shown on
MTV.  This covered over the part of the performance where the satellite went
out, and also took care of some Daltrey profanity.

The radio broadcast went out at the same spot in "My Generation", but came
back much sooner, although it was a secondary feed that sounded like a
single mike in the middle of the audience.  So at least a complete AUDIO
tape is around of "Pinball Wizard".  Wonder if anyone out there has an
audience tape of the complete "My Generation" :-)

rainman

"Yes, YEs, YES!" --
Townshend to the guy telling him they were
running overtime, Live Aid, 7-13-85