Re: Liveaid & Cincinnati

In article <33A0140B@pcmail.systems.gec.com> ,
    "Kipp, David G." <KIPPD@pcmail01.systems.gec.com>  writes:
> and caused by the band.  Even though I've read accounts in all the Who
> books, (i.e. Marsh), what really caused it?

My understanding is that it was poor logistics on the part of the
promoter -- forcing everyone to enter through a single set of doors.

> For those who were bigs fans
> then, what was your reaction?

I was just starting to get into the band.  The tragedy happened on my
birthday of all things!  My friends and I placed the blame squarely on
the head of the promoters and their door policies.

> If eleven people died today at a
> rock/rap/heavy metal concert today, I could see some politician raising holy
> hell to ban all future shows.

In Salt Lake City, several people were crushed and at least one killed
at an AC/DC concert at the convention center.  When I later went to a
PIL concert at the same venue, the muscle men forced everyone to sit
in their assigned seats and they wouldn't even let us stand up.  We
had to SIT.  How the hell can anyone SIT at a PIL concert?  Even
Johnny Rotten told us to "get up out of our seats and tell the
bouncers to fuck off" straight from the mike.

> Did the Who become synonymous with violence?

I've never heard anyone suggest that.

> How did the band handle it? Was  Pete's comments out of line?

I'm not so familiar with those details, I'll let another fan address
them.
- --
  ``Between stimulus and response is the will to choose.''  -- Steven Covey
     3D Paint: The Power to Create in 3D;		Rich Thomson
     email me for more info				rthomson@ptc.com