Re: Comments on "One LIfes Enough"

In a message dated 97-06-04 04:02:03 EDT, drjimmy@pop.access.digex.net
(drjimmy@pop.access.digex.net) writes:

A couple of "Quick One's" after reading yours...

RE:

<<  Of course, you could always take into consideration that one of
   Roger Daltreys goals was too be able to sing real opera ( I am not
   an opera buff or even a novice at that, but I remember either reading
   that or hearing him say it during an interview, so I cannot describe
   what would be considered "real" opera...)and I think it was a chance
   for Roger to give his voice a way to express itself differently.

That's interesting, yet as much as I admire Roger, I somehow can't begin to
imagine him even wanting to do "Opera" - I say this because of a particular
quote of his, which has been repeated many times is slightly altered forms,
but one which I admire greatly..It goes something to the effect of..."As far
as being right on note - that sort of thing - who cares? Give me an off-key
blast of emotion and a decent bead of sweat ANYDAY over that!"...Since Opera
is so ULTRA-conformist, right down to the notion of how the first performer
of a piece having "created the role", I can't see Roger doing it..or at
least, I hope a I never see him desireous of doing it.

But I agree with you entirely on his need to demonstrate what he can do--From
the imfamous "Coup" in 1965 when Pete took over the band until almost Keith's
death, Roger is said to have more or less felt constrained to follow the
general vocal intretation that Pete laid down in his Demo of whatever song
Roger had to sing, which is a bloody shame because a case might be made that
Roger saved the whole group from oblivion when, a year before Pete's "Coup",
Roger completely re-interpreted the very first WHO release ("Can't Explain"),
thereby changing it from a really syruppy-whimish-puppy dog-wounded love tune
into this superb Mod-rejectionist snarl which no doubt saved the song and,
perhaps, the band.

But as far as opera goes, and sorry but I can't resist the pun, I would
slight "re-type" one sentence of your opinion as follows:

From:

To:
 ""real" opera...)and I think it was a chance
   for Roger to give his voice AWAY!"

Otherwise....

 but if you look at that particular cut at a different angle, you may
   or may not see what I mean...just my opinion...for what it's worth..

Your opinion sounds pretty solid to me...

Regards

JB--2--THE WHO!