The Who in Toronto

        Here's my 3-day Who trip!

JULY 28

        We left my doorstep at about 12:40 pm.  It was a long, dull ride to
North Bay - dull, that is, except for trying to figure out what surprise my
dad had in store for me there.
        Turned out that my dad had planned to take me on the nightly boat
cruise around Lake Nipissing, on the Chief Commanda II!  It was a lovely
ride.  (I love the water - being in it or on it, doesn't matter.)

JULY 29

        The day had arrived!  We techinically got up at 7 am, when the desk
sent us our wake-up, but I hadn't slept much at all.  (Embarassingly, my
lack of Zs was not due to excitement - I've never been able to sleep in hotels!)
        We left for the Big Smoke (Toronto) at 8:30.
        Now the good part.
        I had a great time at the Zum Rhein (once we found it)!  En route
(the short way), we ran into who we later realized was a Who roadie - big
guy with 2 earrings and tattoos - who was clearing out an area.  We thought
later that the Who had probably arrived, and were going to be let into the
Amphitheatre.  If we'd thought of that sooner, we would've hung around and
watched!  We went the long way, got lost once, but did finally enter the
shade of the Zum Rhein.
        The first person we ran into the John Rhein.  (Ask him about his
interesting drinking companion at Montreal.)  He told us some great stories.
I wish you'd stuck around, John - I would've liked to get you in a picture!
        It was wonderful to meet Tom Hand and hecktow, and someone else,
too, whose name I missed.  (Sorry!)  It was a pleasure to meet all the
non-listers who were dragged along, too!
        It was also great to see Stoo, Gary M., Luke and Doug again.  (Stoo,
as much as I appreciated the offer of the beer, *je n'ai pas plus de 17 ans*!)
        Bernd, where were you?  I was told that you were coming!  I was
looking forward to meeting you!  (Oh, well.)

        I still had a few butterflies going into the Amphitheatre.  I
thought that maybe, since this was my second time seeing the Who, it
wouldn't be so exciting.  Boy, was I wrong!  You have to love this band!
        My dad and I sat beside two very enthusiastic Who fans.  The guy was
more of a Daltrey fan, I think, because he wasn't all that well-informed.
(He was under the impression that Simon was Pete's son.)

        First off, to all you people in the front, oh, *50* rows, I envy
you.  I was in the nosebleeds, and I was depending on the screen for a lot
of the action.  (It was still great, but it could have been better if I
didn't have to strain to see!)

        Track by track.
        John just flew in "The Real Me"!  Wow!  And I love that Buzzard - I
had no idea that the frets were numbered with Roman Numerals!
        I've always liked "Quadrophenia" as the Who's instrumentals go.
They played it well.
        "Cut My Hair" just didn't sound as emotional as when I heard it at
Buffalo.  I don't know why, either.  It was a great song, but....
        I like this new guy playing the Godfather!  "The Punk and the
Godfather" goes much better when the guy can follow a beat!  And he can
sing, too!  I thought Roger's little homage/bowing thing to him when he came
on was good.
        I adore "I'm One".  That's all I can say about that.
        As much as the new Ace Face is a good actor, and a much better
singer/speaker than Idol, he's too... too... nice.  I don't think he knows
how to be mean.  The best he could do was to repeat the same swear over and
over, ask if you want to go (I doubt he'd go through with it) and box with
the air!  (Or was that dancing?)  He wasn't obnoxious or irritating, as I've
always thought the Ace Face should be.  "The Dirty Jobs" was well-sung, though.
        "Helpless Dancer" was good, too!  I always liked it, despite that I
disagree with some of the things it says one should fight against.  I just
wish that Roger hadn't tossed away the closing line - it's what makes the song.
        "Is It In My Head" still has the cheesy video of Jimmy against it,
but otherwise I thought it was played strong and hard.  I noticed for the
first time that the banjo (or whatever it is) in "I've Had Enough" is
pre-recorded!  Go fig!
        John was even faster on "5:15" than before!  (Who was it who coined
the term "sof---ingfastit'sjustablur"?  It applied!)  The crowd was wooden
in my section - they sat like lumps on logs!  Thank goodness I was in the
back row of the section, so I didn't bug anyone when I stood!  My dad said
he looked around, and the reason that people were sitting was that they were
in awe, slack-jawed and wide-eyed.
        I got some ideas for my rendition of "Sea and Sand" from the
performance last night.  Just a few little embellishments.
        "Drowned" must be the most beautiful song ever written on this
little rock we call home.  (I'd hazard to add on any other planet, too, but
that's pushing it a little.)  I love this song.  I would just die if someone
ever sang it for me.
        "Bell Boy" was cute, as always.  I really noticed Zack during this
one - is he ever strong!  I didn't think that the Ace Face deserved the
kick; Idol was much better at making me think he's earned it.
        My dad was getting a little bored during "Dr. Jimmy", I guess,
because he asked how long until it was over.
        I like "The Rock" better than "Quadrophenia".  The duet between Pete
and Simon was charged.  I loved it!
        I got chills when Roger hit the high note at the end of "Love Reign
O'er Me".  (Did Rabbit's piano slip?  A roadie rushed out and seemed to try
to fix things, and he played a little more, and then seemed to give up!)
        I love these guys!  I love 'em!  I LOVE 'EM!

        Just a few impressions.
        Roger made some interesting faces, like at "the hypnotized never
lie" (WGFA).  I'm not sure if he was trying to look hypnotized or innocent,
but it was a cute effect.  Who says he can't act (at least a little)?  The
man must also have made a pact with some supernatural power, because nobody
can look like that without some help when he's 53!  He was a bit hoarse, but
he gave it all he had.  (You have to admire him.)  Hot lemon tea and honey
works wonders, Rog!
        It was Who-gasmic (if I may use the term, Stoo) to hear Pete play
electric.  Wow!  His duet with Simon right after he strapped it on in "The
Rock" brought tears to my eyes!  I still can't figure out what it is about
those windmills that makes a person's stomach leap into his throat, but it's
amazing!  I think I missed the first windmill, but Pete made that up with a
bunch more!  WOW!
        John was beyond belief, as usual.  I think I'm going to start
looking into his solo stuff.
        I couldn't close my eyes because I would cry - I tried it.  It's so
wonderful to see and hear them together, doing what they love to do.
        The show was very tight and well-performed.
        I did toss the pillow I made - it make it about 2/3 of the way to
the stage.  I hope it makes it, or at least I hope no weirdo picked it up.
        Yes, Pete, I DID miss Carin's sniff.  (Only you would notice
something like that!)

        The encore.
        Who was it that messed up the ending of WGFA?  Was it Roger, missed
his cue?  It was still a rocking version (Pete may be the old boss and the
new boss, Rog, but your name appears just as often in the credits!), no
matter what happened.  That "Pinball Wizard" teaser in the middle - oh, I
almost died!  Some lucky town is going to get that song, I know it!
        BBE was just nice.
        "Substitute" and "I Can't Explain" were great additions to the
encore!  They can still sing 'em well.  (Looked like Pete had a problem with
his monitor for "Sub".  I thought for a second he was torturing us like he
used to!)
        WAY reaffirmed my impression of a dead crowd!  In my section, there
was nobody singing!  Nobody!  (Except me and the woman next to my dad, that
is.)  C'mon, it's a rock concert!
        I like having most of the band out there to back the boys.

        I won't mention the limo to and from Ontario Place.  (My dad's idea,
and a great one, but... spooky.)

JULY 30

        We were at 8:45.  (Blah.)  My eyes were sore from the secondhand pot
smoke from the guys in front of us.
        We left the hotel at 10:03 am, and stopped only for lunch.  I got
back to by doorstep at 6:38 pm.
        What a trip.

        I'm looking for a tape of this show (Toronto July 29/97) if anyone
ever hears of one, and I'm still interested in a tape of the show I saw at
Buffalo (November 9/96).
        And... I have to put out a cry for help.  I didn't have enough cash
for the "Who Tour '97" t-shirt or a pin.  If some good soul is willing to
pick them up for me, I will gladly reimburse you (plus something for your
trouble), or send you tapes, or a puppy, or... something!  Anything!  I'll
really appreciate any help anyone can give me.
        Thanks!

JenniferD
My Guitar         __  _____		http://www.nt.net/~jen/
 :::=====================I  |	"Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, riding