A child has spoken!!

WHAO!!!

As I started to read the rather intriging note, cited in small part - BELOW,
I initially thought...well, right, someone's just having a bit of fun, trying
to jerk everyone's chain and see WHO jumps....

But (at the risk of getting "taken in" myself), as I read on I began to
wonder if the person could possibly be serious (or perhaps, worse, some poor,
despondent psychotic, pathetically seeking the healing warmth of a right
proper FLAMING)!!

Then I got to the the really inane statement about "greed" and being down to
thier last "five million" and I realized that NO clever provocateur would
ever undermine his stupid drivel with such a BLATENT mis-statement of FACT
(as opposed to opinion, no matter how sincere or insincere) as that! I mean,
it was like, just as the bloke (or chick) is starting to get everyone right
properly riled up, they say something so utterly stupid as that -- it's like
handing everyone a retorical gun and saying "PSSST --- Shoot me quick and end
my sorry, miserable, bleedin life -- because I just can not face turning
thirteen next month and I can't find a single bird to take to the "sock hop"
this Saturday, and without some new Peter Frampton to listen to, I afraid I
just utterly helpless, that's all!!!

Well, as everyone on Earth, including my nine year old kid knows, THE WHO is
both unique and remarkable for spending the entire first half of their public
careers, buried in "red ink" (given the VERY UNLIKLELY chance that our
original letter writer has as of yet made it through the seventh grade,
perhaps I should pause to explain that "red ink", in this case, refers no to
the color of one of your crayons, but rather to the fact the the guys in THE
WHO spend most the otherwise halcion "SIXTIES" almost complete "broke", this
owning to their unique and bizarre insistence upon total committment to their
art, (i.e. paying for all those REAL Rickenbocker Guitars and other such
gear, which tended to end up thoroughly demolished at the end of a gig -- and
of course a horrendous re-negotiation of their contract committed by PETE as
he turned 21 and comitted financialk suicide in an effort to prove he could
broker a better deal than had his father).

So, is it possible our provocateur is not a provocateur at all, but rather
sincere, albeit utterly simple-minded???? (No REAL WHO junkee would ever make
so brazen a mis-statement of fact as accusing THE WHO of placing financial
success ahead of ANYTHING)!!

Where here's the citation, fellow WHOers, judge for yourselves...

In a message dated 97-07-23 10:44:25 EDT, email@citywatch.prestel.co.uk