Tommy: the Movie - Love it or Hate it?

I see references to the movie version of Tommy on the list from time to time,
and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm alone among fans by liking it.  I saw it
immediately on release in a great theater in San Diego, the Loma.  It even
had the Quintaphonic sound system!  I had to sit in the front row (darn!)
because I got there late.  Yes, there were lines to get in.

Things I love about it:

The Casting.  I know about the singing, but they chose actors first,  their
singing was secondary.  Ann-Margaret was terrific...she did get an Oscar
nomination, and was actually the pick to win.  She was in virtually every
scene and had to carry most of them.  Keith Moon as Uncle Ernie! Tina Turner!
 Elton John!

The Costumes and Art Direction.  It was pretty to look at....And you gotta
love those matching outfits they wore to the amusement park in Amazing
Journey.

The Who Play the Who.  In Pinball Wizard, listen closely.  The Who is playing
that, not Elton John's band.  The version on the soundtrack album is Elton's
band and different, at least until the end of the song, when its Elton's band
on both.  And they smashed their instruments!

Things I Hate:

Lyric Changes.  See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, HEAR Me?  Sally Simpson's dad was
"cleaning his blue Rolls-Royce", couldn't they find a black one?

Ludicrous Moments.  Ann Margaret sings "Will his spirit's future level ever
heighten?" I don't buy it for a second.  Or in Wecome when everyone shows up
in their work uniforms.  It looks like Noah's Ark, but only one of each kind
at this one.

Things To Look For:

In Bernie's Holiday Camp, The songs says "Chalet #11", but Frank shows them
#9.

In Acid Queen, there is a subliminal projection of Frank's face when they
show the skeleton with the snakes crawling through.  Once you see it, you see
it every time, but its a little hard the first time.

I guess that's about enough on Tommy, the movie.  BTW, I manufactured one of
those Tommy crosses that they sell at the holiday camp.  I just spray painted
a styrofoam Ball silver and made a "T" out of balsa.  I later hooked it to a
cord so I could twirl it.  It was great fun at those college dorm parties:
 "John, do Teenage Wasteland!", then the show began.

John