Re: Pete's Women

> Perhaps it was
> because he didn't actually witness the Cincinnati tragedy, or perhaps 10
> more years of rock and roll had changed his perspective, or perhaps it was
> just because during the period from 75 to 82 he wrote mostly about himself.

Dave:

I think you've pinned it here. The Who weren't playing big venues until
after TOMMY, which means SS was written from a more intimate POV. By
Cin, Pete was extremely removed from his audience...and was very aware
of it (according to his interviews). His perspective about RnR, and
concerts in particular, had certainly changed by that time. Pete was
also more removed from the teenaged fans, being over 30. Had he written
TOMMY (or even SS) in 1979, I've got to think it would have been quite
different.
And while Pete had always written about himself, he dressed it up less
after QUAD. He was more direct. Instead of using characters, he wrote
things like: "Let me tell you some more about myself." and "I see myself
on TV." and so on.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend