California '99; Who's Loudest; Chicago tickets needed

>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:51:05 -0400
>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: California `99?
>
>A customer came in the other day and asked me about an album that
>supposedly came out around `72-`73, which featured Pete Townshend (among
>others, like Joe Walsh). It was called: CALIFORNIA `99. I must admit
>that I've never heard of it. I am familiar with a lot of Who-solo
>appearances, like ZORG WOMEN and the Lord Sutch album, from this general
>period...but has anyone ever heard of this one?

Mark,

I've never seen the thing, but it rang a bell.  I couldn't find the album
listed in the "Guilty By Association" section of Hanel's 1982 discography,
but there IS a pertinent listing in the "Covers" section:  "UNDERTURE"
(California '99), US LP, RCA ABCX 728.

When Pete actually played on somebody else's cover version, Hanel
cross-listed it in the "Guilty By Association" section--for example, Yvonne
Elliman, Roger Ruskin Spear.  Perhaps Pete DID play on this version of
"Underture" but Hanel didn't know this.

By the way, I've been told that The Who's volume record was broken by Iron
Maiden in 1988 (I didn't see this mentioned here yet) and that the Guinness
books have contained an update acknowledging this.

Finally, does anyone out there have two tickets in the seating area they'd
like to sell for this Sunday's Chicagoland show?

Rich