Fact stranger than fiction!!

John,

I was looking over some of the better postings when I came across your
excellent description of your personal journey to WHO-fan-dom.

In a message dated 97-05-31 14:36:21 EDT, BearInLV@aol.com writes:

<<
 I'd love to hear from other listers the experiences that made them the Who
 fanatics they are today.  I was so glad when I hooked up to the internet and
 found out there are so many others like me.  I really wondered sometimes.

While my story isn't quite as eloquent as is yours is does have a twist or
two to it. Perhaps the most interesting part of my "journey" is that,
although I am notoriously "reluctant" to embrace any art or artist,
especially to the degree I have embraced THE WHO (and always have been), my
"fit" with THE WHO was so remarkable and total that of the few things I
really value in my life (a finate quanity of things which is rapidly
decreasing on an almost daily basis -- except for THE WHO, of course), the
only one that I cannot remember consciously embracing (it just was always
there, somehow) was my afinity for THE WHO. (Granted, at my whitered age,
this goes back decades, or as PETE once quipped in an interview -- "is that
DECADE or DECAYED?").

Perhaps my most interesting moment was 22 years ago when I decided the time
had come to propose marraige to the person who became "my wife" (for a total;
of twenty years - you can do the math). I proposed the only way that seemed
proper -- I sat her down, asked for a bit of quiet, and put on the ending of
TOMMY.

(BTW, as soon as I did this she realized what I was about to do, knowing as
she did how much the WHO mean - and meant - to me, and just as I was about to
"say it" interrupted and said "NOT NOW - ASK ME WHEN I'M NOT SO DISTRACTED").
So much for romance with a Tibetan,(and now I wish I'd taken her advice, but
that's another ((and best forgotten)) story!

The only other story, FWIT, weas about 8 years back when , out of the blue, I
suddenly had to have this major operation and I suddenly discovered that
there was at least a reasonable chance that I wouldn't "make-it". Since I
couldn't walk at the time, I frantically sent out a comrade with all the
pocket money I could lay hands on and orders to get a CD walkman and all THE
WHO CD's (I was just converting from LP's and Tapes at the time) she could
find - and to SPARE NO EXPENSE. When asked why I explained that if things got
a little "close" I reckoned THE WHO  might very well be the one thing that
got me out of there alive.

As it turned out, and I am not making this up, the Surgeon was typical of all
American M.S.s, in other words, a total fraud, butcher and abomininable
QUACK. And, BIOW, I did almost "croak" and without going on for too long,
leave it to say that it was THE WHO music that literally saved my life
(something not everyone on this planet would be happy to know, I'm sure, but
I appreciated it - at the time, at least).

FINALLY, the last thing you said, to fall back into a "SIXTIES" parlance,
literally "blew my mind" I quote...

 "If you really want to know
 me, listen to Behind Blue Eyes.  Its the story of my life". >>

Well, John, that was astonishing, because my name is also JOHN and I have
used those EXACT SAME WORDS with regard to that exact same song for years
now.

So I guess us WHO fanatics do have some secret genius in common, eh?

Regards,

JB2-=---THE WHO!