Re: Pete's Chords

Message text written by "Lucas Bleicher"
>I don't know how could I play a Eb without using a barre.<

Lucas,

Well, it was a question I asked me a long time ago.
In Tommy and QUAD, you have a lot of Eb, and it's not very
easy to play them without a barre.
The posting of Kevin B. O'Brien is a good way but it takes a
little practice,or you could forget the little finger; it works too.

The main difficulty in playing PT songs on guitar is the fact
that he use a lot of chords. OK, Can't Explain is easy; but take a look
to Underture, Picture of Lilly, Love reign on me...
PT loves to create complex harmonies on guitar.

IMHO, you don't have to be worried to play exactly the way PT did.
Every guitarist is different. Some have long fingers other not. =

Then what's easy for one isn't for the other. If you want to play Eb
using a barre, do it.
There are a lot of way to resolve guitar playing difficulties.
'Underture' could work with a capo, 'Love reign on me' needs the
guitar to be detuned one half tone. Other tunes need a lot of
practice to play all the chords smoothly.

>But for example, on Leeds and Isle Of Wight, how does he play the =

>chords?

Most of the time near the nut as you said. Looking at Isle of Wight, =

or Woodstock, PT doesn't seem to use a lot of barre. It's not easy
to watch PT closely because of his jumpings. But it seems that
he use simplifyed barre when there are no other possibilities.
I.e, he fingers only the strings needed for the chord. The huge =

ringing and crunchy sound comes from his Hiwatt amps which are
famous for their mixed clean and crunch sound.

In conclusion here are some songs I know the way PT played
them :
Summertime Blues : A5 -D5-E5 to the nut and next B5  E5  F#5 with
simplified barre
Young Man Blues : The main chord is an E played near the nut; the fingeri=
ng
is a little tricky (PT plays quickly) and you can see it clearly on the
Isle of
Wight video.
Tommy is played more classically because of the chords.

And in last conclusion, writing this makes me say that PT
is a wonderfull guitarist. :-))))))))))))

Yves-Pierre