Yet Another "Tommy" Vinyl Question

Greetings,
Boy, every time I listen to my vinyl copy of "Thomas" I find more questions
about it (if you will remember, I posted a question about the use of brass
instruments on some tracks.).

OK here's the situation: I was listening to it, and, mind you, this was the
first time I had listened to the vinyl in a while, as I have it on CD and
tape. So, Side One ends, and so I go over to the turntable to flip it over.

D'OH!!!!

I forgot that the first disc contains sides One and Four and the second disc
contains sides Two and Three. Why did they do this??? Also, are all copies
like this??? Thanks in advance.....

Disillusioned, but still a 'Oo freak,
Mike