Who by the numbers and Face Dances

Hi All,

Can someone please explain to me why The Who by Numbers and Face Dances
always get such bad reviews? Actually, they are two of my favorite
albums. I didn't start listening to the Who until the late 70s and ever
since I never could understand why all the negative press.

For what's its worth, here are my feelings;

By Numbers

Slip Kids: rating: B  Creative rythm and melody.
However much I booze: A+  One of those songs I wish I could have
written.
Squeezebox: C. Fun but that's about it.
Dreaming from the waist. A+++. Probable my favorite who song (tied with
Bargain)
Imagine a man: A+ Pure poetry
In a hand or face: D
How many friends have I really got? B+ Pure emotion. Reminds me of some
of the stuff on Stones' Goat Head Soup, not sure why
They're all in love: B+
Blue Red and Grey: A    Good demonstration of Pete's ability to express
himself like no other

Face Dances

You better you bet: B  Fit into the 80s
Cache Cache: B
Daily Records: A  Any others agree?
Did you steal my money:  B
How can you do it alone: C+   The bass line is great, so is the pseudo
bagpipe bridge
Another tricky day A  I Love the middle part. Anchor the bass on F while
guitar plays Eb then Ebmin! Try it!
The quiet one: D

I probably forgot a couple of songs.

Am I out to lunch?? Can someone please tell me why both these albums
have such bad reputations??

Regards,

Jean Pierre Jauvin
Director Business Development &