Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #7

   Hi Who-addicts.......just thought I'd add my thoughts on my drumming
idol--the amazing Mr Moon......
  Many people (especially drummers) seem to not really understand the concept
behind his playing....he definitely was not a timekeeper in the professional
sense,
but that only worked to his advantage and was part of his charm.....no, the
amazing  thing about his playing was his incredible off the wall
fills.....listen to end of Magic Bus and also Young Man Blues, both from Live
At Leeds....in my 21 years of playing I've never heard anyone play with that
much power & originality in rock....
 Another example I can think of is the very end of the live version of
Bargain from the
box set and from the Who's Missing cd.......pure energy unlike any other
drummer..
While having figured out most of his technique, there are still moments like
those above where I am just baffled at the ability of this man......but am
equally baffled at
the idea that he supposedly could not play the rhythm to "Music Must Change"
from
"Who Are You"!!!!!
 Probably the best performance he did has to be "a Quick One" from the
Stone's Rock &Roll Circus...........I still get chills watching that vidioe
from the Kids Are Alright..........all that and without a highhat!..His drum
set-up was the best ever as well.......
  All in all there is no better choice for rock drummer than Moon.........you
can stick your Neil Pearts & whoever else up the highway..............!!!