Re: STB Radio Play

> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 11:40:50 PST
> From: "Emmee Schiff" <doctorjimmy@hotmail.com>
> Subject: STB Radio Play
> 3 Simon Townshend Band "Way"
> this means that STB got three spins last week at WRNR radio, may I
> suggest any of us who live in the Baltimore area be calling up and
> requesting it more and more, our boys can only do better :)
>
> Emmee

And you don't have to do it just for the sake of Simon and band.
Do it for yourself.  The song flat-out rocks.  I first heard it
at the San Jose show, and it just blew me away.  I really enjoy
that track of the album, but after about 30 listens, it's beginning
to pale compared to the live experience.

And I've been meaning to write a few other comments about STB &
Among Us, and Emmee's post provided a good opportunity.

I enjoy Simon for his music, not because of who his brother is,
though true the first time I went to see him my expectations were
heightened because of his name.  However, having just seen Simon
play for the 2nd and 3rd times in my life during the west-coast
(accoustic) leg of his recent tour and there's no question;
his playing style is very reminiscent of Pete's.  And while I
don't particullarly want to compare the two musicians because
of their familiar ties, the two sure sound a lot alike vocally.

However!  After purchasing a copy of "Amoung Us" after the San
Jose show, and listening to it several times, I don't really
find too many of the songs that remind me of Pete's songwriting
style.  In fact, there were a handful of songs that specifically
did remind me of other musicians:

"When She Sleeps:" there's a riff in there that is very Led Zepplin-like.
(though I forget which song -- I don't listen to LZ very much.)

"Medicine:" Elvis Costello's name pops into my head almost immediately.

"Cold Water" -- Peter Gabriel.

and parts of "Capture" are reminiscent of Paul McCartney, beleive it or
not.  Though I also consider "Capture" to be one of the real
"Simonesque" songs on the album -- if that makes any sense.  I guess
what I mean is similar in style to a few of the songs on "Sweet Sound."
The other tracks that also bring back the "Sweet Sound" feel are
"Save me from me" and "So Sleep."

At the risk of being flamed for having a lame story regarding my
experiences talking to Simon and Co. at the shows, I was going to
relay them anyway, but this post is long enough already, and it's
really the songs I'd like to talk about, so I'll end it with ...

> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 05:19:13 GMT
> From: kob1@ix.netcom.com (Kevin B. O'Brien)
> Subject: Re: Chinese Eyes
>
> I think most people want two things, which of course will never be
> found in combination:
>
> 1. Cheap tickets
> 2. Only the real fans get the good seats.
>
> And you can see the Simon Townshend Band for much less, and have a
> great time.<g>

And the real fans got the good seats despite the low cost.  At least
in my experiences.

> Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL

	Bill

/* Bill Sherman  (wsherman@ncsa.uiuc.edu)                                */
/* National Center for Supercomputing Applications                       */
/* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                            */
/*     Og - "You want to do mankind a real service?  Tell funnier jokes" */
/*  Spinner - "but facts don't always reveal the truth"                  */
/*      Robin - "Yeah, but I always figure that's the writers' fault"    */