Re: Thoughts on the Quad film

Yellow, re.

>Watched the Quadrophenia movie again today and had many thoughts, but
>only three that I will share with everyone here. :)

>1. A while back someone (forgot who, sorry) said that at the end of
>Quad you could see Jimmy standing on the cliff as the scooter falls.

That would've been me!

>I checked this out in slow motion and there is definitely SOMETHING
>up on that cliff.  You can even see this shape without slow motion if
>you're alert.  But I myself can't say for sure whether it is Phil
>Daniels, a member of the film crew, or even a piece of camera
>equipment.  The more ambiguous the ending is the happier I am, so I
>am choosing to believe that the mysterious shape was not Jimmy.  The
>rest of you can think whatever makes YOU happy.

It's definitely Phil Daniels.  The new print features a close up of him on the
cliff edge.

>2. When Jimmy decides to purloin the Ace Face's scooter, he starts it
>up with a key he takes out of his pocket.  I rewound back to the part
>where Jimmy first sees the scooter parked by the hotel, and he does
>not take the key from the Ace's scooter and then put it in his pocket.
>  It was a key he already had on him.  How is this possible?  I don't
>know much about scooters, but I can't believe that the keys would
>just be interchangeable like that, especially since Jimmy's scooter
>was a Lambretta and the Ace's was a Vespa.  As silly as it seems, I'm
>really bothered by this little continuity error and I just had to
>vent a bit.

Jimmy had several keys on his keyring.  You'd be surprised just how
interchangeable the old keysets were.  However I do agree that this
pushes the boundaries of belief a little bit!

>3. Does anyone else feel really sorry for Monkey?  I always have,
>ever since the first time I saw Quad.  I think I feel at least as
>sorry for her as I do for Jimmy.  The poor girl.  You can tell she
>really likes Jimmy, but he doesn't pay any attention to her except
>when he wants some pills!  What a jerk!  Idea for any film students
>out there: make a movie about Monkey, I think it could be really good.
>  I'd want to see it, at least.

You'd want to see a film following the trials and tribulations of single
parenting?

- --
Gary L

Whotabs, the definitive online tablature resource for The Who
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs