"I feel your pain"

Hey Andrew,
I hear you buddy.  The Who are the most maligned of the legendary Rock
Groups.  Despite the enormous influence they've had on everyone they are
constantly dissed when mentioned at all.  But I wouldn't take it out on
the Stones, Hendrix, Beatles, and Zep.  The truth is those bands were
all major Who fans themselves and acknowledged the Who's influence on
them.  It's well documented that Paul McCartney credited "A Quick One"
(along with Pet Sounds) as a major inspiration for his concept of the
Sgt Pepper album; specifically the connected songs and reprise in the
end.  He also wrote "Helter Skelter" in answer to Pete's boast that he'd
just written the hardest, nastiest Who song ever ("I Can See For Miles"
I think?).  McCartney also claimed Punk Rock was basically a bunch of
new bands taking off the early Who, especially Keith's manic drum style
(he said this as a compliment).  The Stones were more competitive in
their statements about the Who, but when the famous drug bust went down
at Keith Richard's house twenty years ago the band had a Who record on
the turntable that they'd been playing over and over again.  Zeppelin's
name, of course, came from a comment from Keith Moon (some sources say
it was John E) that the band would go over like a...  The fact remains
that Page had approached Moon and Entwistle about starting a new band
with him (during one of the Who's many infighting spells) and they both
gave it consideration.  Although Page rarely has anything good to say
about anyone else (dissing Townshend, Kinks, Jeff Beck, et al), the only
person on your hit list who really dismissed the Who was Hendrix, but
even this had more to do with a healthy competition and respect for
another great band.  The famous Monterey Pop argument between him and
Townshend shows this; Hendrix refused to follow the Who's set since he
knew it was Thee Showstopper, the Who refused to follow Hendrix for the
same reason.  Hendrix gave in but promised Pete "if I'm following you
on, I'm pulling out all the stops".  A promise he more than kept.  Those
two blistering performances at Monterey Pop sum up my point.  The Great
Bands of the Sixties had respect for each other, they competed as equals
and inspired and influenced each other.  So, I'm not mad at the Beatles,
Stones, Hendrix, or Zep.  I'm just mad at some fans of those groups that
sometimes dismiss the Who.  They should take their cue from their idols
and throw a Who CD on.  I'm sure they can go to Paul McCartney's house
and find the whole catalogue.
"Long Live Rock" - Leo