"Goin Mobile" & "Cache Cache"

Okay.  We agree that "the performances are outstanding" on "Goin
Mobile", etc., but you still refer to it as a "nothing song" which
"doesn't compare to 'Cache Cache' in terms of songwriting".  You say
"the serious, introspective songs are more of a challenge and more of an
achievement".  While I agree such songs are more of a challenge, many of
them never achieve anything except to let Pete blow the Horn of
Pretension once in a while; "Cache Cache" illustrates this all too
well.  Perhaps the lyrics to "Goin Mobile" aren't self revealing enough
and maybe the chord structure is simplistic, but again, Pete pushes the
envelope with his guitar-through-synth solo and the boys play as if
possessed.  If nothing else this song is great BECAUSE of its
execution.  It's an unassuming, simple rock song that meets ITS
challenge brilliantly; namely, its rocks.  "Cache Cache", with its urban
fable of zoos, bears and napping may contain complex allegories and
personal meditations by Pete, but the weight of these inspired lyrics
hopelessly mires the music.  The band struggles through the performance
without an ounce of passion or imagination.  Now don't get me wrong, I
love the grandiose Who as much as the early punk Who; the band
successfully struck the balance between passion and complexity countless
times (the entire Quadrophenia album proves that fact).  But to suggest
that many classic Who songs are inferior because they are lyrically
simplicistic is to betray the spirit of the band.  "My Generation" is as
lyrically simple as they come, yet it remains one of the seminal rock
songs.  A great tune with a mediocre lyric can still be classic (Louie
Louie), but a great lyric with a mediocre tune or performance remains a
mediocre song at best.
    Lastly (everyone is praying) Pete may have dismissed "Goin Mobile",
"Squeezebox" and "Long Live Rock" as fluff, but let's face it, Pete is
the most contradictory critic in Rock history.  He's often been quoted
stating the Who were nothing but flash and gimmicks, yet he also said
the Who is the only band who understands and gives a damn about rock
music.  He dismissed the lyric of "My Generation" (particularly the
famous "hope I die before I get old" line) many times stating it was
simply an adolescent rant, yet on countless occassions on stage he
defended the song's lyric, and I quote, "We still really mean it". A
final example proves Pete is not Solomon when judging his own songs.
Several years ago he dismissed "Won't Get Fooled Again" as the stupidest
song he'd ever written.  No doubt he flip flopped on that opinion later
also, but I stopped listening to his Who song critiques and focused on
the songs instead.  They are consistent even when Pete isn't.
    I hope my fellow Who fans don't see this inexusably huge message as
an attack on Pete Townshend.  For seventeen years Pete Townshend has
remained my one true hero.  But even the truest heroes are human and
flawed.  Pete would be the first to admit it; that's why he's The Man.
   Sorry for the novel everyone.  I won't make it a habit.
- -Leo