Led Zep + TOMMY

Hey all-
        I just have a few comments regarding whatever. First, Led Zepplin
was a completely different band than the Who. The Who were based more around
50's 60's Pop/R&B/Rock. Whereas Led Zepplin was most definately a Blues/Late
60's Rock group. Now this may not look very different written, but let's
compare the two, shall we?

        1.The Who started playing together in 1962 (or in 64, if you count
Moonie), and their musical environment consisted of Johnny Kidd and the
Pirates, the Beach Boys, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Bo Diddley, Chuck
Berry, Mose Allison, Buddy Guy, and other generic 50's early 60's R&B, Pop,
and Rock'n'Roll.
        Whereas Led Zepplin got together in what, 1967-68?. Their musical
environment had groups like Cream, The Hendrix experience, the Beatles, the
Stones, THE WHO, and plenty of Motown. And they were mainly a heavy Blues
group(Somewhat similiar to Cream). And they obviously studied Blues
improvisation.
        2. Compare band members' previous experience. Pete played in a few
garage bands that never really played gigs (except for his Youth Club)
untill he and John got in the Detours with Roger.
        What I know about Jimi Page, is that he was a studio musician during
the recording for "I Can't Explain". Now, I don't know how long he was a
session musician, but after a while you get good at playing stuff at random.
Which most likely helped his improvising. And he was also in the Yardbirds
for a while, which was very much a bluesy-impromtu group.
        John didn't get really into playing bass till he got with the
Detours, he had more gigs doing brass. He fooled around with Pete for a few
years.
        Moon played with the Beachcombers, a pop Surf band, then went
straight to the Who.
        Roger, well, Roger doesn't really get a chance to improv vocals often.
        I don't know much about the rest of the Zepplin members.
        3. Listen to the first album's of each group. There's a BIG
difference. The Who were much more pop than Led Zepplin was at the time.
Mainly, look at who they cover. The Who does James Brown, where Led Zep does
Willie Dixon. It's R&B compared to Hardcore Blues.

You're probably saying, "So WHAT! So what Andrew! Who cares if one's more
bluesier than the other?" Well it makes a big difference. Which would you
expect to improv more? A Pop rock group, or a Blues/Jazz outfit? What I'm
saying is, is that it's easier, or more expected, for a Heavy Blues group to
improv than a pop group. You have to remember, back when the Who were
starting up, pop groups just played 30 min sets, of all their best hits,
almost note for note. The tune and lyrics in the origional setup was
expected at concerts during the 50's and the early 60's. Not many other Pop
rock groups played around with their sets like the Who. The Beatles didn't
play live, and who knows what the Stones were doing. Um... well I'm going to
move on now.

        Oh! I remember now! Tommy! That's it. Well, recording-wise and sound
quality-wise, Tommy wasn't very good. But material-wise, Tommy kicked some
rock booty! The Who never really bothered with good sound recording till
Who's Next(When they did, they were like,"Wow! That sounds Good!"). Mainly
because they thought of themselves as a live band, only to release records
when the money was needed. Another reason why Tommy was better live was
because of the IMPROVISATION! Damn good improv. Uh... Well, I'm done now.
You can go read something else now.

Andrew Thompson

P.S.Sorry for the length, just had to get it all out.