Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #566

> Yes the time has finally come, I've got some money in my pocket, approval from
> the wife... I'm going to get an electric guitar!
>
> A friend of mine is in a band and has offered to take me shopping but I'd love
> to get some advice from any guitarists on the list as to what sort of things I
> should be looking for in a guitar and amp to get that "Who" sound.   I am
> looking at spending between $500 and $1000 all up.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Denis.

	Hey Denis,

	Well, for about $1000 dollars you could set yourself up with a
nice Strat Special (Mexican) and a Fender Princeton Chorus 112
Amplifier.  Though not exactly what Pete ever used, this equipment is
what I consider to be the most versatile.  The Strat Special have to
single coil pickups (neck and centre) which give you a nice bottom end
and dirty sound.  They also have a humbucker bridge pickup which can be
switched from single coil to humbucker.  With this set up you could get a
nice clean edged distortion much like the one Pete uses in Won't Get
Fooled Again and Who Are You.  I believe with this guitar you get some of
both worlds.  Namely, a Strat's smooth clean sound with a Gibson Les
Pauls edge.  If you've got extra money you could go with an American
built Strat special, but you'll have to double your spending.  I believe
the Mexican strats to be the best value for the money.  Besides, all the
components of a Mexican strat are built in the U.S.  They are shipped to
Mexico for painting and assembly.

	Hope this helps,

	Rui

	Rui Resendes			Department of Chemistry
	Lab : (416) 978-2450		University of Toronto
	Home: (416) 635-0748		80 St. George Street
					Toronto, Ontario
					M5S 1A1