Re: Guitar advice needed

>From: dbowler@mgdestmx01.erin.gov.au
>what sort of things I should be looking for in a guitar and amp to get that
"Who" sound.   I am
>looking at spending between $500 and $1000 all up.
>Any advice would be much appreciated.

I guess the question would be, Which 'Who' sound?  Townshend has had several
set ups.

Mid 60's:  that semi-accoustic Rickenbacher thing (I believe) + a Hi-Watt amp -
first few albums.
Late 60's:  Gibson SG - a light body, wide neck guitar (Still Hi-Watts?) - i.e.
Tommy @ Woodstock, Live at Leeds.
70's:  Gibson Les Paul (Mesa Boogie amps?  Or Marshalls?  Or Both?)  Who's
Next, Who by Numbers, TKAA movie.
early-mid 80's:  Fender Telecaster (amp?) - Face Dances, It's Hard, the first
"last" tours.
Early-mid 90's:  something in an accoustic guitar.  (amp?), the latest "last"
tours.

You can pick up good used SG's relatively cheaply.  They sound great and
they're fun to play.
You can get a Gibson Explorer (?  that or it's an Invader ... I can't
remember), which looks and sounds just like a Les Paul.  The only difference is
about $500 (US) less in price because the neck is bolted on (like most guitars)
instead of fitted into the body.
I have no idea what Telecasters go for.

I know some people who love the Mesa Boogie amps ... say they can get
Townshend's sound out of them.  I haven't heard them, so I don't know.  Why
not?  A tube amp will really help, though.  I used to run my solid state guitar
amp through my tube bass amp to get that great compressed tube sound.  Leads to
tinitus, though.  Wear ear plugs.

DON'T FORGET to get a MXR Compresser (little red foot pedal) for the leads!!!
Don't be talked into one of those stupid distortion pedals (little yellow box)
if they don't have the compresser.

Wish I had spare cash to buy gear :-(