The UK Trip journal

Greetings friends --

Steve Luongo is sending a series of diary/journal entries from The
John Entwistle Band's recording session at John's home studio prior to
the Quadrophenia tour.  These will also be available at
http://www.eden.com/theox

Herewith, installation #1  -- enjoy:

The John Entwistle Band trip to the UK. Day 1

Well every good trip starts off with some sort of travel.  This trip
started with a trip to London on Virgin Airlines.  OK I guess they
didn't mean to give me a seat thats only big enough for a small 12
year old.  They most likely didn't know that I'm 6'4".
Thankfully they realized that we were in the wrong section and moved
us up to the right section.

Now it's just after midnight and we've been flying for about an hour.
I just received my Virgin diet cola in a 120ml can.  At first I
thought is was a small can of concentrated pineapple juice.  Everyone
else has regular size drinks???  I was looking around for someone to
give me the punch line but there was none.  I had just been served my
beverage in an eye cup with a pop top.

Godfrey was the first one to fall asleep and he always looks like he's
faking being asleep.  He has this look on his face that makes you
think he's peeking out though his eye lids.  I did the flying peanut
test and confirmed that he really was asleep for a while.

BTW today's film is Twister which is perfect.  They have these little
screens on every seat and a set of headphones (ALA walkman) which
really makes the movie experience a bad trip.  The thing is that on a
plane it sounds like you are listening to the "Twister" with or
without the headphones.  I think I'll wait for pay per view.

Our stewardess has a name plaque on and underneath her name it says
"green and friendly."  Now I figured it meant that she was new and
ready to be extra nice to the passengers but it turned out to be an
environmental thing=85=85 bravo!

Here we are in London Heathrow airport and we've just seen Lisa
(John's girlfriend) who has come to pick us up and after a short wait
for our bags, we're off to Quarwood (John's estate).

Here we are and it's good to see our friend again.  He looks good
sporting a tan from a recent trip to Cabo.  After a few minutes of
catching up on the past couple of months it's into the studio to take
a look at the equipment.  It has all arrived in good shape so I guess
we're almost ready to start recording.  The plan is to rehearse for a
few days and then start cutting tracks on Monday.  Bob Pridden will be
engineering for us and for you trivia buffs Bob not only ran monitors
among other things for The Who from the early days until now but he
was our FOH soundman for the '88 tour.

Well It's time for dinner so we'll go to a restaurant, eat, drink and
laugh, tell a few stories.  The band, Lisa and Bob were joined for
dinner by Bob's wife Mia.

Now it's back to the house. =20

Jet lag is setting in now and it's midnight in England so it's off to bed.
 Oops not quite yet.  It seems that the hounds of the Entwistles need
to be walked and when two 200 pound wolfhounds (Scarlet & Flynn ) want
to be walked they can sing or howl up a storm.  So Lisa and I took
them for a quick one (no pun intended) and now it's time to crash.
Good night.