carton that refered to our boys, which greatly inspired me. :) The
cartoon consisted of a conversation between two cute Wusconsin woodland
animals, whom I will refer to as #1 and #2. The dialogue ran like this:

#1. What's wrong, Carson?
#2. Oh, I'm feeling ANCIENT.
#1. And this is a problem?
#2. It is if you listen to the Who. HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD!
#1. And where are THEY now?
#2. Gumming prune puree in a home somewhere. They never specified HOW
old...

Okay, so our boys are getting along in age. WE know they're still
kicking, for now at least. But if I may take you forward in time, to a
future not so very far off, you might see how things could change...

*spacey sci-fi music, sparkly lights*

The scene: day room, Acton County Deluxe Retirement Community
The year: 2026

*Camera fades in, and we see our heroes sitting around a card table.
Check the year mates, they're in their 80's. Use your imagination.*

JOHN: Are you going to deal or aren't you?
PETE: What?
J: I SAID, deal!
P: What?!
ROGER: I'll bet 'e turned 'is 'earing aid down again.
J: Good lord, we'll be 'ere all day.
R <whacking P with his cane>: TURN YER 'EARING AID UP!
P <adjusting hearing aid>: Terribly sorry...my turn to deal, was it?
J: It's about bloody time.
P <dealing>: So...how 'ave your kids been?
R: Don't rightly know. 'Ow long 'as it been since they visited me?
J: I seem to remember seeing Willow at Christmas...
R: Yeah, Christmas, yeah. You know, I never expected 'aving four
children would be easy, but I never thought they'd stick me in an 'ome
and forget about me!
P: Hah! You think you've got it so hard! Emma STILL won't let me
mention her in interviews!
J: Oh come off it Pete, it's been thirty years!
P: You think I don't know how long it's been! Thirty years I've had to
remind myself not to whip out pictures of the grandkids whenever that
nice young girl from Rolling Stone comes by.
R <under his breath>: Lucky for 'er...
P: Speaking of my grandkids, want to see the photo they sent me on
Father's Day?
J: Ah, maybe some other time, Pete. But right now, there's something
Roger and I have been meaning to ask you.
R: Yes, well, we talked about this after bingo last night, and well...
J: We were wondering if...
R: You might be interested in...
J&R <in unison>: Getting back on the road?
P: Excuse me, I think my hearing aid slipped again. I was certain you'd
suggested that we begin touring again.
R: It's not your 'earing aid, man. We mean it!
J: We're sick of shuffleboard!
R: We're sick of listening to Mrs. McGregor prattle on about her
knitting!
P: Come now lads, aren't we getting a bit old for the whole rock and
roll bit? Look at us! John, your dentures are slipping! Roger, that wig
isn't fooling anyone!
J: We may be past our prime, but that doesn't mean we can't still rock!
R: We aren't even in wheelchairs yet! We can't give up yet!
P: But the press slaughtered us last time we went out on the road!
R: Oh, don't be a ninny.
J: What does the press matter? We were still packing 'em in!
P: Surely I wasn't the only one who just felt silly! Especially when
they started throwing those orthopedic shoes!
R: Oh you're just jealous because the young birds barely even noticed
you!
P: Hey now!
R: Not that you'd even know what to do wif one if you 'ad 'er!
P: Look here Rog, just because a couple of 45 year old secretaries threw
their brassieres at you doesn't mean I don't still 'ave it!
J: Let's not start this again...
R: Yeah, let's not. I'd hate to break my last cane over your 'ead.
P: I'd like to see you do that after I belt you one with my walker!
R: You can barely even belt your trousers, much less me!
<Enter Nurse Ledbetter>
NURSE LEDBETTER: Gentlemen! We aren't fighting again, ARE we?
J,P,R <in unison>: No, Nurse Ledbetter!
NL: Good! I'd hate to have to force you to read ANOTHER ONE OF MY
STORIES!
P: No! Anything but that!
J: God save us all!
R: We'll be good, we promise!
NL: That's what I like to here. Of course, there is still the matter of
my story...well, maybe I'll just post it to the mailing list.

And so she did!

                                                -Yellow Ledbetter
This message sent from The Net BBS 608-221-5702.
Telnet address: bbs.madnet.com