Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #615

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:

> From: dana hartwell deer <deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:34:38 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Pete in Albany
>
> J.Peoples said:
> > After his "why should I care?" line in 5:15 Townshend said
> > "fuck you, fuck you all" directed at the crowd straight before him.
>
> What provoked that reaction from Pete?

Our take on it was that he was just "getting in the mood" for the song
to come, it being a raucous nasty one.

> saw the who last tuesday at the meadowlands ,unbelievable, they were intense.

I agree.  Last show of the tour, the band pulled out almost all the
stops.  (Still would have liked to see Pete more on electric, myself.)

> Daltry sung "....sad man.........bad man", I mean he's Roger Daltry He sing
> however he wants, but It was backwards.

Phththpph :-P.  That's nothing.  Check out tapes of Miami '89 and
Tampa '89 where he dead forgot the words to the same song (Who Are
You?) two nights in a row.  Or one of the East Coast Quad shows where
he lost his timing and just held the microphone out for the audience
to sing the words (this was also BBE, I believe).  Or my personal
favorite, one of the recent West Coast shows where he sang, "I'm going
back (or possibly "home") soon, home to get my baboon..."  LOL!!!

Just to give RD his due, though, he does a great job.  Nobody's
perfect.  I used to get freaked out when Pete missed lyrics.  Now I
realize it's a fairly common occurrance if he doesn't have a lyric
sheet in front of him.  In '89 "Eminence Front" was usually just a
salad of phrases taken from the original lyrics in nearly random
order.

Long live rock, indeed.

- --
Alan McKendree        amck@eden.com        512-478-9900 x206
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701